Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Waiting for Spring: part1

I didn’t want to post and run with this new blog. I would love to be able to keep up with fairly regular posts until the time Steph and I actually start working on the car. We're just waitigng for Spring.


Unfortunately, I don’t have much car knowledge or words of mechanical wisdom to share in the meantime. I have been doing a little research and reading about others who have successfully restored classic cars. The more I read, the more anxious I get. It’s that good anxious feeling you get when you are eager to get down and dirty; but, also that feeling…the KNOWING…that I have no idea what I’m getting myself into.

I have learned a few things.
**There are plenty of people out there restoring cars and they seem to want to impart their knowledge. And I’ll take it!
**The 1967 Barracuda was the first of the ‘second generation’ of Barracudas. It was the first year of the Barracuda that no longer shared the same sheet metal as the Valiant. Now, this means nothing to me in terms of the metal, but I actually had no idea that the Valiant was the pre-curser to the Barracuda. Most Barracuda ’clubs’ are ’Valiant-Barracuda’ clubs. They made it bigger to fit in a bigger engine…hot rod, anyone? And, starting in ‘67, they began offering the Barracuda in convertible, fastback (which is what Dad had), and notchback (which is what we’ll be working on). I am in love with the fastback. I’m sure it has a lot to do with my childhood memories of Dad’s car; but, I also like the sporty look of the fastback compared to the old lady feeling of the notchback. But, since it’s me and my sister with our “Happiness is yelling ‘BINGO’” front plate, I guess it’s perfect! (I’m certainly not complaining!!)
**And lastly I learned that the drag strip where my dad used to race is STILL running! Looking at pictures on their website, I feel all warm inside. Ubly Dragway…check it out.


What I wish I could learn: How can a girl with no automotive know-how manage to make this work? And why is it so appealing?

No comments:

Post a Comment